PRESS RELEASE: SAPHA Hosts Annual Chai & Chat 2017
For Immediate Release: October 24, 2017
SAPHA Hosts Annual Chai & Chat 2017 – Improving South Asian Health, Bridging the Gap
ATLANTA, GA, November 5, 2017 – South Asian Public Health Association (SAPHA) is hosting the Chai & Chat panel discussion. The topic of this year’s meeting is Improving South Asian Health – Bridging the Gap, and will be facilitated by Dr. Nazeera Dawood, SAPHA’s President. Tom Mathews, the founder and CEO of WealthWave, will be featured as a guest speaker.
The panel discussion will provide important insights into the many facets of public health, including: special issues in conducting scientific research, educating and raising awareness about South Asian health, and protecting and enhancing the health and wellness of people and the communities where they live, learn, work and play.
This year’s featured panelists are:
• Professor Jagdish Sheth – Department of Marketing, Emory University
• Dr. Sreeni Gangasani – Cardiologist with Gwinnett CardioVascular Specialists
• Aisha Yaqoob – Policy Director, Asian Americans Advancing Justice
• Aparna Bhattacharyya – Executive Director, Raksha Inc.
• Chandan Hebbale – Georgia Tech University Alumnus
• Dr. Memoona Hasnain – Professor and Associate Department Head, Faculty Development & Research, Department of Family Medicine, UIC; President-Elect, SAPHA
“Too often we see grass root organizations going the extra mile to provide innovative support that continues to make a real difference to the South Asian community,” explained Dr. Nazeera Dawood. “We couldn’t be more excited to introduce the local Community Champion Organization awards to raise awareness on volunteer services that create a positive environment for South Asians and others.” The deadline for registration is Oct 31, 2017. Register at: http://goo.gl/AJ78yt. Registration will be closed once maximum capacity has been reached.
The SAPHA Community Champion Award will be presented to:
• Vibha Atlanta
• TiE Atlanta
• The Gandhi Foundation of USA
• TAMA Free Clinic
• South Asian Bar Association
• Sewa International
• Raksha Inc.
• Noor Family Services
• Indian Friends of Atlanta (IFA)
• Indian American Cultural Association
• Child Rights & You (CRY) Atlanta
• BAPS Charities
• Ahmadiyya Muslim Community
• Aga Khan Council
Date: Sunday, November 5 2017 Time: 6:30-8:30 PM
Location: Omni Atlanta Hotel at the CNN Center, Grand Ballroom A, 100 CNN Center, Atlanta, Georgia 30303
About SAPHA: SAPHA is a non-profit organization founded in 1999 that aims to promote the health and well-being of South Asian communities by advancing the field of South Asian public health through interactions among health professionals and shared resources.
President: Dr. Nazeera Dawood
Media Contact & Special accommodations:
Dr. Shipra Singh,