Letter from the Board
Dear SAPHA friends,
It is our great pleasure to welcome you to the South Asian Public Health Association (SAPHA) Summer 2015 Newsletter. Since our last correspondence, SAPHA's Board has been vigorously working on a number of initiatives.
Here are a few highlights from our efforts.
- The American Public Health Association (APHA) Annual Meeting in Chicago is Saturday, October 31 to Wednesday, November 4. The SAPHA Board will be there to participate and strategize plans and activities for the next year. The SAPHA Board will host a Chai & Chat on Sunday, November 1 from 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM and we invite you to come join us. Please stay tuned for the location.
- Our signature project, a book, "Health of South Asians in the US: An Evidence-based Guide for Policy and Program Development" will be launched at the Chai & Chat. We are all very excited about the Book. The Research Committee volunteers have put lots of energy, time and sweat to complete this project. We are seeking sponsorships at this time to cover the printing and publishing costs. If you are interested to become a sponsor, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
- SAPHA's Local Partnerships Committee is very excited to sign a concrete partnership Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Centers for Disease Control & Prevention's (CDC) Travel Health Program. SAPHA will serve as the premier organization to increase awareness among people traveling to South Asian countries. The purpose of this outreach program is to develop, implement, and evaluate a program to determine if word-of-mouth travel health education programs can improve acceptance of pretravel vaccines, medicines, and preventive behavior among high-risk travelers.
- And yes, the Membership Committee is kicking off its membership drive this July. Please consider joining our team of professionals by visiting the membership page. Professional ($50) and student-level ($30) memberships are available. As a SAPHA member, you will have voting rights and eligibility to run for the SAPHA Board of Directors; eligible to chair a SAPHA committee; invitations to events hosted by SAPHA and partner organizations (e.g., SAALT, APIC, etc.); access to exclusive member-only portions of the website.
- We would like to honor Melanie Wathugala, our Communications intern for her great work in creating the newsletters for SAPHA. Melanie will be starting medical school at the University of Southern California this fall (congratulations, Melanie!), and Susmita Paul will be filling her shoes. We only wish Melanie the best of the best hoping she will consider returning to our organization in the coming years. Thank you, Melanie!!!
Thank you. And happy reading!